Group Admins

• Profile picture of Dean Howarth

Beginner and Expert

Public Group active 1 week, 1 day ago ago

This groups function is for all types cross the board to discuss systems techniques and training. everyone learns everyday, why not help yourself and other runners to smash through the wall!!!!

For the love of running? (13 posts)

← Back To Group   All Discussion Topics
  • Profile picture of Berlinda Berlinda said 2 years, 1 month ago ago:

Reading all the post around Comrades pre and post, it made me wonder, why does everything have to become so technical and complicated (yes I know I am severely challenged in that regard) but still. What happened to just lacing up your shoes and heading out the door, just because you love it? Make no mistake, I would love to do Comrades and all being well I will do it. But when training for my first Ultra I found I lost so much joy and felt so pressurized when training, to pick up speed, supplements, fartleks, lsd…..etc …etc. Just makes my head spin. Maybe I am not competitive enough but its so awesome being out there just running, just being free from all restraints and pressure that life puts on us. Seems training for Ultras add to the pressure and takes away my joy of freedom on the open road. Am I missing something? Have I lost the plot ? Cant I have both?

• Profile picture of Lynn Lynn said 2 years, 1 month ago ago:

Hey B…I’m gonna say I would love to give you a massive hug for that post! I am SO in agreement. I actually got to a point where I started to lose my way and my love for it all…purely because all the lingo started going over my head and it all just got too complicated. I have decided just to listen to my body, go with what works for me and what feels right! I’m also going for the big C next year – and even if I run an 11.50 hours…I will be the happiest person alive!

Thanks Lyn right back at ya – good luck to you in your training

• Profile picture of Sheena O'Keeffe Sheena O’Keeffe said 2 years, 1 month ago ago:

Lol – I agree with both of you! I am training for Knysna full this year (would be so easy if it was just the 21) and I am feeling very pressured. I know I can do the distance, but am worried about the cutoff. when actually – who cares? No one outside the running community CARES what your time is – it’s about DOING it! It’s just a pity that most of my running buddies are super speedy and waaay competitive. that’s not me at all – I just want to have the experience and be able to say I DID IT!

I know the feeling Sheena, when doing ODD Ultra all I could think about is the cut off times and missed the beauty of running around the dam. I can understand the organisors need to put cut off times so bit of a catch 22 I guess

• Profile picture of Madelein Barnard Madelein Barnard said 2 years, 1 month ago ago:

Ladies you are doing the wrong sport! Yes I have to train on the road during the week and I love the technical stuff like fartleks and tempo because it makes me a better runner. But when I run I run for the joy of it out in the mountains or down by the sea when I get the opportunity. On trail runs you stop to take in the views, you stop to take pictures if you run long enough you stop to refuel, but you enjoy every minute of being alive and able to run. Also cut-offs in trail runs normally only exist when safety becomes an issue like where there are water crossings or dangerous mountain terrain to negotiate. Come join us, you’ll never look back :)

@ Madelein…trails???? listen girl I like the limbs I have, clumsy as they are, but yes I do see where you coming, we have the most beautiful trails in this country

• Profile picture of Sheena O'Keeffe Sheena O’Keeffe said 2 years, 1 month ago ago:

Hey Madelein – actually I do a lot more trail events than road – and I LOVE it because people are not really on their watches! We did the Addo 50k, the Stanley’s Mountain 24k, Woody Cape 18k. And are planning so many more for te rest of the year. I agree with you – it’s such a great way to see our beautiful country. Look out for the Rhino Run in Sept – my husband is organising it – we are passionate about saving the rhino! 5 trail events around the country: http://facebook.com/rhinorun and http://www.rhinorun.co.za. It should be a great event!

• Profile picture of Ntutu Ntutu said 2 years, 1 month ago ago:

It’s a fine balance i guess. Eg I’m fine until i go on the track. I started running to get fit. I work on the 6th floor of one of the taller buildings on the WITS main campus, and it has a sharp spiral stair case and dodgy lifts. The dodgy lifts always won out but when I started studying there 2002/3 i knew i could walk up the stairs no problem, or so i told myself. But last year i could not even make it to the second or third floor without stopping to catch the lift. I mention that because my running fitness correlates with my ability to walk up those stairs, now i’m hitting the 7th floor without losing my breath, eighth floor almost there! So getting fit has some barometer at the end. Take the stair analogy to the road or whatever and I get satisfaction from doing more easier.

So for me when I laced my shoes last year June it was running up a stretch of Mercury Rd in Benoni without walking, then doing the whole 6km loop without walking. Then running a 10km, then running a 10km without walking. The going under 50 minutes etc. I still love running for the hell of it. I never run with music etc because i love hearing my feet pound the tar, the smells the sounds etc, but I love the feeling when it gets easier, when those hills seem less daunting, and I see those hard confusing tiring sessions as part of that journey.

I had that moment now moving to Pretoria. A stretch of road in Moreleta Park that no matter what I did broke me, but on Saturday I ran a 9km loop that had it and when I got to Wekker St I ran faster, got to the top and wanted to high five every random I ran past!!!!!

The limit I guess is getting to a point where those rewards never come or they are less than the effort going in to getting them.

• Profile picture of Madelein Barnard Madelein Barnard said 2 years, 1 month ago ago:

@Sheena – I saw the Rhino Run ad in Trail magazine, we’re up in Gauteng unfortunately and won’t be making the trip down for this one

@Ntutu – Nothing wrong to enjoy burning up the tar, but there are options for runners who feel they’ve lost that joy

@Madelein – there will be a run in the Gauteng area too :)

• Profile picture of Ntutu Ntutu said 2 years, 1 month ago ago:

@Madelein, definitely :) I’m feeling like I need to hit some trails, maybe In December after I’ve got this Marathon monkey off my back and I’m psyching myself up for 2 Oceans!

• Profile picture of Deleted User said 1 year, 7 months ago ago:

Running is good for health and if some one want to be healthy and fit he should be love running,i also love running to be healthy and like exersice is well.