Group Admins

• Profile picture of Sam

Serious Running Matters

Public Group active 3 weeks, 1 day ago ago

Serious Running Matters

Running style (7 posts)

← Back To Group   All Discussion Topics
  • Profile picture of Berlinda Berlinda said 1 year, 9 months ago ago:

Ok so here’s the deal. I have been running for 3 yrs now, I love running and feel comfortable when I am out there. Yesterday while running like a demon (so I thought) this guys stops me to tell me my style is all wrong – ok so he does not seem a serial killer/psycho and his apologising for seeming rude – so I listened and paid attention – what he said made sense but puitting it in practise seemed impossible. Seems like I swing the top of my body with my arms (checked out my shadow) and to keep it still felt all wrong, yet my stride did improve when I was able to keep still, but OI VE this does not come with ease. So what is the verdict out there on style?? When you out Marshalling a race you notice a lot of folks are as dorking looking as you whilst running. I need to take 20min off my Om Die Dam Ultra this year (did last yr in 7h14min57sec) so any advise tips will be appreciated.

• Profile picture of Clinton Clinton Hunter (coachclint.co.za) said 1 year, 9 months ago ago:

Absolutely right Berlinda, the first thing I do with my athletes is work at rectifying posture and gait. The biggest issue with rotating your torso while running is using unnecessary amounts of energy, swing your arms forward and that will prevent you shoulders will not swing from side to side. Do some research into gait and posture, you will improve your time, most of us think our posture is perfect when in actual fact improving some aspects will improve time and eventually comfort. It will take time to get used to a new running style no matter how small the change.

Thanks Coach, I will work on this and also look if I can find a website regarding running styles, must admit its hard.

• Profile picture of Ntutu Ntutu said 1 year, 9 months ago ago:

Yeah I remember when I started out running my father told me that I bounced up and down instead of striding forward and was wasting a lot of energy!!! Take a look at this site http://kinetic-revolution.com. I stumbled across their profile on twitter and they focus heavily on technique and they don’t focus on just one aspect like foot strike which seems to be all the rage now but look at form, for lack of a better phrase as a whole body interaction. It’s mostly focused on triathletes but I’ve found some of their drills and stuff useful.

Thanks ntutu, will check it out

• Profile picture of Madelein Barnard Madelein Barnard said 1 year, 8 months ago ago:

We all feel like gazelles when we run and then actually look quite different. When I saw my first action photo from a race I nearly died. I was running all skew with my left shoulder, looking more like the hunch back of Notre Dame than anything else. As Clint says above; the swaying movement costs you so much in energy that could have been used to propel you forward and slice those minutes off. At first it might feel funny but keep being conscious of it and it will be fixed in no time. There will normally be some loss of form when you get tired, but at least you will save energy at the start of the race. Maybe have your partner video you when you are running so that you can see for yourself how bad it is?

• Profile picture of Berlinda Berlinda said 1 year, 8 months ago ago:

hahahaha Madelein thats funny – I checked the website Ntutu suggested and was very interesting (if confusing) so my task this weekend is to practise, practise & pracrise to get it right, but listen here – a photo of me in action is bad enough but a video – oi ve, wish I could have a coach for a day, but I will keep you guys posted on the progress. Thanks for all the advise and mostly thanks to the dude who brought it to my attention .
    Happy safe runnings to you all